Tuesday, July 05, 2005

New and improved

So I reached into my refrigerator today to move the bottle of Neuman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar salad dressing so I could grab my bottle of cranberry juice. Much to my surprise, the salad dressing bottle was made of plastic. Neuman always has used glass bottles for his salad dressings (at least the ones I have used). I'm not sure, but Cool Hand Luke may have changed to plastic so he doesn't break his famous salad dressings' bottle while reaching for the hard boiled eggs. Either way, the plastic replacement is slightly disappointing.

It was quite a coincidence that I just noticed this material make-over because I was pondering this very issue in my head as I drove home from a Spanish test this morning. I was thinking about how old materials are constantly being replaced with new materials. The cheapest material available will be used in an effort to maximize the profit earned per product (in many cases). As every material goes by the wayside, a part of our culture leaves us. As we improve our surroundings, we lose experiences that have been a part of our culture.

Some of these things may not be noticeable to some. Many people couldn't tell the difference between listening to a guitar made out of maple wood compared to a guitar made out of rosewood, but other changes are much more noticeable. For instance, a hand rail made out of metal instead of wood. As I walk by objects, sometimes, I reach out and touch it as I walk along. I may not be able to feel that particular texture after that material is replaced. Try it. It amuses me to realize I am thinking about this thing that no one else is thinking about. As I feel the indents in the wood handrail, no one else is thinking about that texture as I think about it. It kind of puts a spin on your day that eases the stress, at least a little bit. So many things in life are fleeting. It's important to take advantage of what is there when it is still there.

So enjoy your glass bottles of salad dressing, wood hand railings or genuine leather jackets. They all may be plastic tomorrow. And lord knows that no matter how many hard boiled eggs you plan to eat, it’s always pleasing to feel the weight of a glass bottle in your hand at dinner time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot about how awsome of a writer you are. O_O

Well said, Justin. Well said.

-Karl

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home